[Noisebridge-discuss] trade backup space

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Jun 7 23:13:46 UTC 2010

Ronald Cotoni writes:

> I could just be persuaded to setup an rsync backup with you to my box
> if you host my backups offsite.  Mine are currently 200 gigabytes and
> it is a lot of data.  I also happen to have mine on a proper internet
> connection (100 mbit)

Another idea that addresses the encryption part is the Tahoe
Least-Authority Filesystem.  See, e.g.,

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/05/tahoe-lafs-a-p2p-fil.html

There is also a mechanism for more widely-distributing the data,
so large communities could run shared grids.  For example, the
Noisebridge community as a whole could run one, using Noisebridge
infrastructure or just members' individual computers.

The least-authority part means that storage of data is completely
decoupled from the ability to read the data.  You can choose to
allow other people access, but you're never required to.  If you
lose the keys, you can't access the data yourself.  You can read
the design specs and source code to verify this claim.

So far as I know the Tahoe software itself doesn't have any kind
of firewall-penetrating features which means that, without additional
configuration, users wouldn't be able to host grid nodes behind a
NAT.  There is also not much in the way of user interface yet, but
the underlying technology appears to be well thought out.

I think some people on this list may have tried out Tahoe, so maybe
they could share their experiences with it.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.