[Noisebridge-discuss] nburl.net - Noisebridge Tiny URL

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 19:15:11 UTC 2010

Yeah, way cool idea.  Thanks, Al!

Please send me the password.

Thanks again,

Mitch.

Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 15:04:27 -0700
From: miah at chia-pet.org
To: asweigart at gmail.com
CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] nburl.net - Noisebridge Tiny URL

This is awesome! Good work Al!!!

-Miah

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Albert Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:

In order to make the space more newbie friendly and documented, I've
set up a Tiny URL service for Noisebridge at nburl.net. Here's how it
works:

1) Find some complicated piece of equipment that a person would need
to ask someone how to use. (Such as the drill press in the dirty
shop.)

2) Make a wiki article explaining how to operate it, along with any
safety tips. (e.g. how to operate the drill press, where to find
safety goggles, etc. at https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Drill_press)

3) Go to nburl.net and fill out the form with the long url
(https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Drill_press) and a shortcut name
(drillpress) and the nburl password (email me for this, since we don't
want this open to the entire web and I don't want to post it
publicly.)

4) Use the label maker to stick a label on it with the nburl.net
shortcut (nburl.net/drillpress)

5) Done. Now someone sees "nburl.net/drillpress" and it will redirect
them to the wiki.

I've already put out some labels (on the dirty shop equipment, sewing
machines, and trash cans) but I'd like help filling out the wiki
articles:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Drill_press
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Radial_Arm_Saw
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Sewing
etc.

The web app is a bit barebones. Send me feedback.

-Al