[Noisebridge-discuss] Why do so many crackpots go for "crypto"?

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Tue Jun 15 18:51:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:34:51AM -0700, Sai Emrys wrote:
> ... and why do journalists eat this bullshit?
>
> http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/emirati-ex-banker-builds-unbreakable-code-1.639940
> http://gulfnews.com/polopoly_fs/give-this-a-try-1.639960!image/2047322739.gif
>
> Le sigh. Anyone care to transcribe and break what is probably a simple
> substitution cypher?

"It uses a strange symbol set, and therefore must be secure"

That is freaking ridiculous.

I might actually break this, just for giggles.

There's not enough to do a simple frequency analysis break, but if the
language underneath can be identified, it should be plenty for someone
who speaks the language.

GOODNESS.  This is straight out of the 1800s (or earlier).
--
A Weapon of Mass Construction