[Noisebridge-discuss] Why do so many crackpots go for "crypto"?

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Wed Jun 16 00:33:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 03:07:55PM -0700, Christie Dudley wrote:
> Yes, they just released a TED talk on this very thing.  Apparently, the
> problem is dopamine and what it's doing floating around there in your brain:
>
> http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_shermer_the_pattern_behind_self_deception.html?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2010-06-15&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email

Watch that movie, and then check this out:

http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/email/paranoia.txt

I originally wrote that in 2003, and the date on that copy of the file
says 2005.

We both talk about:

Pattern matching
Type I and Type II errors
Peter Bruegger (reference 2 or 3 in my paper, I forget which)
Dopamine
Temporal Lobes
Hallucinations
Belief in paranormal phenomena
Kennedy Assassination
neuroleptics
left-hemisphere / right-hemisphere
John Nash
a primitive person detecting a threatening animal
a tendency towards finding patterns to be a positive evolutionary trait

I tried to post to Michael Shermer's blog:

http://skepticblog.org/2010/06/15/the-pattern-behind-self-deception/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+skepticblog%2FcxSs+%28Skepticblog%29

However, I can't comment because my IP is "identified as part of a
spam network", (as is a proxy I use), and he doesn't appear to have a
published email address.
--
A Weapon of Mass Construction