[Noisebridge-discuss] DDoS defense testing?

Jeff Tchang jeff.tchang at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 23:14:03 UTC 2010

This might be kind of unorthodox but one approach that would work is
to simulate a scaled down botnet:

- Figure out who your customers are. Suppose I was running a website.
I would start logging IP addresses for a few weeks, months, etc.
- I would take those IP addresses and do some analysis on them. Figure
out what networks/geographical locations my users are coming from. I
would try to aggregate the data by subnets.

- At this point I would pick the top few subnets or geographical
regions that tended to pop up. I would somehow obtain boxes with load
testing software at those locations.

- The test would help reveal load issues coming from a # of different
IPs. It would also give assurance that this is the primary customer
that would be affected in the event of a true DDoS attack.

-Jeff