[Noisebridge-discuss] Fundraising and membership at NB, a touch of history

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Sat Jun 19 21:50:09 UTC 2010

Hephaestus, I'd like to summarize for you the discussion far in the past
about the difference between Members (capital M, have legal power) and
members (small m, means whatever anyone says it means but has no legal
standing).  As Sai wrote in greater detail, NB is legally a Membership
organization, where Members are legally able to oust any of the board of
directors if they think we are doing a bad job.

It is unfortunate that the term 'member' was chosen by CA law for this
purpose, because it's almost impossible to think of it in this context
instead of the usual everyday context which is much broader.  It also
may have been a mistake for us to have tried to have everyone that is
seriously interested in Noisebridge be encouraged to join in this
capital M Membership role, but that's due to the ideal of inclusiveness,
not elite exclusiveness.  At the same time, since we decided on a
consensus decision process, it doesn't make sense to bring anyone on in
that role willy-nilly, in case they are there to try to tear us down.
It's not a likely scenario but once they're in, it is hard to kick them
out again!  So we made it a little harder than it might otherwise be to
bring them in.

We already do have the concept of affiliate membership, small m.  You
just start paying some amount you're happy with monthly, and call
yourself that.  Boom, done.  There's Paypal links on the wiki which I
mentioned earlier in this thread.

Anyway, changing the membership process is something that Members can do
at any time, so have at it.  But try to understand first that there
actually are reasons that it is the way it is.  We wrangled on it for
like three months back in late 2008, it kinda sucked, but it wasn't in
any way arbitrary nor elitist.  There is a bunch of discussion on the
mailing list (late 2008) and some on the wiki (you'll have to search)
that I recommend you review before moving too much further with this, in
order that you don't have to hash exactly the same things out again, but
can actually think about new things!

Rachel