[Noisebridge-discuss] Fundraising and membership at NB

Elizabeth Sarah Quirk Goodman elizabethsqg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 07:04:19 UTC 2010

Suggestion: You become a member when you pay dues, and remain one if
you keep paying most months.

More at length: The last organization I was in that was anything like
Noisebridge (though more like a gamerspace than a hackerspace, and
with fewer dues as we have fundraisers and no necessary costs) had
basically the policy "you are a member if you buy membership by paying
dues".  So we could in theory have a policy like that--or, since we
don't want to punish people for occasionally forgetting and we accept
a "starving hacker" rate, one could pay dues and remain a member so
long as one did not miss as many as 6 months out of the year (I would
suggest even if that is at starving hacker rates).  It would cost more
administrative overhead but it would make the voting membership
entirely self-selecting and current.

Or, you know, one could come to Noisebridge and eat n pomegranate
seeds to be a n-month member, but that's a stupid joke I'm only making
because it insisted.

Quirk
P.S. In theory I'm interested in supporting any fundraising efforts
others make or meetings on all this, but my summer schedule is too
off-and-on to make it a good idea for me to influence the timing of
anything.
P.P.S. Jonathan Foote: I paid a month's dues before membership too.
Go eager n00bs!