[Noisebridge-discuss] Obscura Day tomorrow!

Christopher Rasch crasch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 20:06:09 UTC 2010

Obscura day is an international celebration of wondrous, curious, and
esoteric places.  Find Obscura Day events at their website:
http://atlasobscura.com/obscura-day

Some of the events in the SF Area are below:

http://squidlist.com/events/index.php?com=detail&eID=189494&year=2010&month=03

Houdini Weekend at Playland-Not-at-the-Beach
'Houdini Magic Weekend!' Date: March 20-21 Magicians from around
Northern California are performing and putting on classes. Don't miss
one of our most popular events.

The special events of the Houdini Magic Weekend are in addition to all
of Playland's regular attractions. Guests pay one low price to enter and
play all day: $10 for children and seniors, and $15 for general
admission. Playland-Not-at-the-Beach is a nonprofit Museum of Fun.
Designed and built entirely by volunteers, the 20+ interactive exhibits
celebrate the magic and history of America's bygone amusements --
circuses, carnivals, magic, side shows, penny arcades, amusement
devices, pinball arcades, haunted houses, and beautiful art everywhere.
Our goal is to educate newer generations about the bygone days and allow
those who remember Whitney's Playland and the Sutro Baths the
opportunity to recapture the glorious sights and sounds of that
marvelous era.
Saturday, 20 March, 2010
10:00 AM - 05:00 PM

http://squidlist.com/events/index.php?com=detail&eID=188862&year=2010&month=03

Obscura Day in San Francisco - Field Trip to Musee Mecanique & Aquatic
Park Tombstones
Join Atlas Obscura (http://atlasobscura.com) for an afternoon excursion
to the amazing Musee Mecanique for an afternoon of creepy wind-up
fortune tellers, prisoner-made toothpick automata, and naughty peep
shows of yesteryear. Proprietor Dan Zelinsky will be on hand to tell
stories and answer questions about the contraptions. When all the
quarters run out, we'll head down to Aquatic Park for afternoon snacks
on the terraces made of discarded Gold Rush era tombstones.
DETAILS AND DIRECTIONS
Musee Mecanique: Noon-2pm, Aquatic Park 2:30 pm. Meet us at the entrance
to the Musee at noon, or find us inside pawing the machines.
ABOUT OBSCURA DAY

Obscura Day is an international celebration of unusual places taking
place around the world on March 20, 2010. It is sponsored by Atlas
Obscura, a guide to the world's wonders, curiosities, and esoterica. To
find out more about the Atlas and Obscura Day, or to find out how you
can host an event in your city, visit http://ObscuraDay.com, or follow
us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/atlasobcura) or Facebook
(http://facebook.com/atlasobscura).

Official RSVP here: http://obscuraday-sf.eventbrite.com/

Musee Mecanique on Atlas Obscura - http://bit.ly/dezDJv
Saturday, 20 March, 2010
12:00 PM - 04:00 PM

http://squidlist.com/events/index.php?com=detail&eID=189541&year=2010&month=03

Obscura Evening at the Long Now
Please join Atlas Obscura and the Long Now Foundation for a reception at
The Long Now Foundation Museum + Store from 5-7pm on March 20th for
Atlas Obscura Day.

Several of the engineers and project staff working on the 10,000 Year
Clock and Rosetta Project will be on hand to give explanations and
demonstrations of artifacts in the Museum. We are walking distance from
Musee Mecanique and our space in San Francisco is home to a few Atlas
Obscura sites including a Longplayer listening outpost, and later
prototypes of the 10,000 Year Clock. We will have wine and nibbles for
those in attendance, and our large monitor will be displaying the
recently launched Long Now Locations category on Atlas Obscura.

RSVP and details:

http://obscuraday-long-now.eventbrite.com/
Saturday, 20 March, 2010
05:00 PM - 07:00 PM