[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Executive Director

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Mon Mar 1 04:05:31 UTC 2010

For the record, here's my understanding of how the process works.  My
descriptive paragraphs below should not be taken as endorsing or dictating
this process, but merely putting out what I've observed and participated
in.  If I'm wrong about how it's supposed to go or how it actually works, by
all mean speak up.

The Bylaws (https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Bylaws#ARTICLE_V_OFFICERS) have
this to say about the process:

*Section 2. Election.* The officers of this corporation shall be elected
annually by the Board of Directors, and each shall serve at the pleasure of
the Board, subject to the rights, if any, of an officer under any contract
of employment.

Because Noisebridge normally decides things by consensus, and because mostly
Officer positions involve a bunch of thankless work, in practice the way
this has happened in the past is that the Board looks around and finds
someone who might be willing and able to do whichever job needs to be
filled, and then appoints a board member to go convince that person to do
that job.  If they agree to do it (this is actually generally the hardest
part of the process), that person's selection to that post then goes up for
consensus at the Tuesday night meeting, and like everything else goes
through the discuss one week, consense the next process.

This is the first time we've not gotten consensus on an officer's
nomination, so we're now sort of floundering as to what to do next; there's
lots of talk about who'd be good, there's a list of nominees... but I am not
sure we know what our process should look like.

My reading (and this is purely "the way it looks to me," not like expert
opinion or anything) is that since the membership has not consensed on our
candidate, then the Board has to elect someone else, whom the membership
will then attempt to consense on.  Since the consensus phase is an artifact
of our *practice* of consensus rather than of our Bylaws (which say
precisely jack about consensus), we can certainly consense on someone, and
then the Board could elect them (and given that the Board are all members,
it would be weird if they consensed and *then* failed to elect the person).

Anybody have a different, better or more well-articualted idea of what the
process going forward should look like?

--S

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700