[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Executive Director

jim jim at well.com
Mon Mar 1 19:40:01 UTC 2010

   the concensus process has to do with meeting objections.
the explicit objection seems to be that mitch (who is
acceptable in general) is away  lot and may not be able to
perform ED duties.
   if i'm mistaken, please let me know.

* meetings are infrequent
* meeting schdules are flexible
* remote attendance (by phone or other) seems okay
* the previous ED was away a lot and things seemed okay
* membership seems generally to want minimum ED duties
* ED should be able to articulate generally re NB (this
  last was an additional suggested consideration)

   i have not seen any responses from the objector to the
above six points other than to the last one, to which
there has been at least one re-response.

   additional themes rising in the thread include
discussion on consensus (which seems to be working), ED
nomination process (which seems to be akimbo), agreement
that we'll give it a week and hope for more candidates
and try to consense on one of them a week after (which
seems to be what's happening)....
   there's been value in the discussion. the length is
to be expected of a group that's new to this stuff (our
first new ED, yes?).
   seems that next time we should nominate a new ED before
the old ED term expires.
   but these ideas don't relate to the objection itself.

   i'll try again:
* if meetings are infrequent and flexibly scheduled, it
seems that all concerned can schedule meetings around
each other's personal schedules. yes?
* if remote attendance is okay, then it seems travel
should not matter if the traveler is able and willing
to attend remotely. yes?
* if the previous ED was away a lot and things seemed
to work out okay, how does the current candidate's
travel seem different? also, the objection in this
respect seems one of conjecture/speculation unless
there's some specific aspect of mitch's travel. yes?
* if membership wants minimal ED duties, then the only
issue seems to be the ability to attend meetings and
direct the output of the annual report. yes?
* although not mentioned in the meeting, if the ED is
expected to articulate NB activities, what standards
do we expect of the ED? is there a reasonable expectation
beyond that of general knowledge of NB history and the
ability to learn about specific projects if necessary?
what say?