[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Executive Director

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Mon Mar 1 21:35:14 UTC 2010

To quote the "meeting minutes" from the last board meeting:

> 3. We seem to need to appoint an executive director for 2010.  Shannon
> and Andy wanted to reappoint Jake as our figurehead, but Ani didn't
> agree.  We proposed to appoint Mitch, so Andy sent Mitch an email
> asking.

I feel this was written with an obvious bias.
As an attendee, my memory of the events were this:

One of the agenda items was to discuss the topic of the ED.
It was stated that the term of the officers are for one year, and
unlike the board members, there is no clause stating that they remain
on until a replacement is selected.

Either you (Shannon) or Andy, I don't recall which, suggested that the
board simply re-appoint the former ED immediately.
As an observer, I objected to appointing an officer without consensus.
 Ani also objected on these grounds.  A brief discussion ensued, in
which Miloh agreed that the board shouldn't act without the consensus
of the membership.  Andy and Shannon then withdrew the item without an
actual attempted vote.
The topic then continued as described in the notes.

In my opinion, this attempted act stepped well beyond the authority
that is prescribed by our policies.  I later heard arguments
attempting to justify the attempt, quoting that the bylaws recognise
the authority of the board to appoint officers -- not the membership.
That obviously did not appease my concerns.

So yes, I am wary of ANY sudden suggestion of new authority for the
board that has not been widely stated before.

Jeffrey