[Noisebridge-discuss] Hackerspaces and Companies: Where they differ and where they overlap

Micah Lee micahflee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 01:55:47 UTC 2010

I think the biggest thing that makes Noisebridge different than most
companies is that it's open to everyone and everyone who wants can
participate in consensus decision making. It's hard to run a business
that's "open to everyone" if that means everyone who helps gets paid
too. But there are lots of consensus-based businesses out there. I was
marginally involved with a cafe/bookstore in North Carolina called
Firestorm where all 13 or so workers are also equal-share owners, and
all decisions are made by consensus. I was never an owner, but I
worked once a work for them during their meetings, so they didn't have
to miss anything.

Here's a website for Bay Area worker-owned collectives: http://www.nobawc.org/

I think running companies like this is a great idea, if you can work
out the initial investment problems (if one person puts in all the
start-up money, how can the company be owned equally by all the
workers? things like that). Of course if you work in a collective,
your job can't be "just a job". It doesn't really work too well unless
everyone is somewhat invested in it.

Micah