[Noisebridge-discuss] Jof for ED? Discuss!

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Wed Mar 3 18:18:00 UTC 2010

So, imagine the following mechanism for selecting an ED:

1.  take the members list
2.  remove everyone's name who is currently at the meeting.
3.  remove everyone's name who is not likely to just show up to do
something.
4.  put all those names in a hat
5.  chose one at random
6.  seek consensus on that person as ED
7.  if you cannot get consensus, GOTO 5
8. you have an ED.

That's essentially, but not literally, what we did.  We got lucky on the
first pick.

--S

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:08 AM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

>   i believe ancient athenian advice was to
> give the job to someone who doesn't want it,
> i.e. avoid power mongers and those with
> self-serving agendas.
>

> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 00:45 -0800, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> > Excerpts from Rachel McConnell's message of Tue Mar 02 21:31:14 -0800
> 2010:
> > > In a bizarre turn of events I couldn't describe if I tried, all of the
> > > people attending the meeting tonight agreed to put forth Jof as a
> > > proposed Executive Director.  Except we determined the office is
> > > actually called President.
> > >
> > > So.  Could you (yes, you) support, or at least live with, Jonathan
> "Jof"
> > > Lassof as our new President?  If you have objections or simply
> > > questions, please do not hesitate to speak up so we can continue with
> > > this decision process.  We'd like to do the Real Consensus next week,
> if
> > > possible.
> >
> > Awesome, thank you all!
> >
> > In some sense, I'm glad this came about in this manner. Having
> > candidates self-nominate themselves imposes a sort of selection bias.
> > Those that put themselves forward, really "want" to do the job.
> >
> > Myself, on the other hand, would be glad to fulfill this duty on behalf
> > on noisebridge, but am not eager to jump in as Exec. Director /
> > President and change or do anything right away.
> >
> > It's my understanding that this position exists only to fulfill a legal
> > requirement to have a figurehead at the top of "the corporation", and
> > should serve only to represent the rest of the organization by signing
> > official documents, and rubber-stamping/signing off on internal matters.
> >
> > With this goal/model for leadership (or lack thereof) in mind, I'd be
> > happy to accept this nomination, and look forward to working for you all
> > in the future.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > jof

Shannon Lee