[Noisebridge-discuss] Unlocking the door via SMS

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed Mar 10 22:04:15 UTC 2010

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> Rachel McConnell wrote:
>> If we allow access by sms, then the only thing necessary to get in is
>> knowing the number.  And while we could say, don't give out this number
>> to anyone unless you would give them a key... well, why not just make
>> them a key?  I mean, either the SMS option duplicates existing
>> functionality, in which case why bother; or it opens the floodgates.  So
>> I'm still not sure whether I like it or not.  I mean, technically I like
>> it lots.
>>
>> Thoughts, anyone?
>>

> There is no way to stop something from implementing this - why not allow
> everyone to have access to it?

Sure, in fact I heard a rumor the door has already been hacked in at
least one way... but I kinda like the idea that you have to implement a
hack YOURSELF to get in (or otherwise minimally impress someone already
affiliated).

> It's also possible to have the script only open the door if the user
> knows a shared secret. We could put up a display in the space with "this
> weeks sms password" for the door - this should stop random people from
> opening the door if they have zero connection to the space. It should
> however let new people leave and come back quite easily when they go out
> for food. Perhaps well before they've been gifted a key...

This might be just secure enough to satisfy my twinge.  You have to have
been there at least once to find out what the current SMS code word is.
 Maybe it could be something that anyone can reset from the touch
panels, or from pony?  I could go for that... might even write it.