[Noisebridge-discuss] It's Club Mate Time Again

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Fri Mar 12 00:10:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 02:46:39PM -0800, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> Looks like it's Club Mate time again!
>
> Seems like these were a hit last time, should we see if they'll ship
> some to us?

I'd love to get more club mate.  I'm in on any bulk order for my
personal use (sign me up for 5 cases, 100 bottles total).

However, it was a mild disaster for Noisebridge the last time around.
A lot of bottles of Mate got drunk without $ showing up in the drinks
tin.  I believe we made back our investment and had a small excess, on
the order of 5-10 cents per bottle, but we did the club mate order as a
fundraiser and priced it to generate something like 50 cents or a dollar
per bottle, so by that measure it was basically a loss.  (Regular soda
nets us a bit over a dollar, pretty reliably.  Research shows people are
more willing to put $2 towards a can of soda that wholesales for 35
cents than to put $4 towards a bottle of mate that, once you account for
shipping it FROM FRACKKING GERMANY, costs over $3.)

I believe Mitch put his $ on the line for the Club Mate last time, so of
course if anyone wants to do the same this time they're welcome to do
so.  But I wouldn't recommend that Noisebridge expend treasury funds to
do so.

-andy