[Noisebridge-discuss] Unlocking the door via SMS

Ever Falling everfalling at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 06:15:48 UTC 2010

i'm sure most of you are well aware of this but i'll say it because it's
worth repeating every time this comes up: whatever you guys plan to do, if
anything, please take into account we're not the only tenants of the
building and that any entry system should take into account that we're not
only giving access to the space but the building as a whole. i highly
advocate a system that shuts itself off in the late evening to curb the risk
of a late night robbery. i think we would be wise to be wary of giving
people without keys such late-night access alone where no one already inside
couldn't just buzz them in.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Tomm <tomm.fire at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/11/2010 7:56 PM, Ryan Castellucci wrote:
> > Anyone can get a key anyway.
> >
> > https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/A_key
> >
> Wolfram Alpha makes solving the riddle as difficult as cut-and-paste.
>
> http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=definite+integral+of+the+square+function+from+0+to+50.23148
> .
>
> But "Schlage warded" isn't enough data to select the correct keyblank
> since there are many styles of Schlage warded blanks:
> http://www.usbuildersupply.com/PDF_Library/Schlage/Guide_Keyblanks.pdf
>
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com>
> wrote:
> >> Micah, this is awesome, but let's discuss it for a bit before you go any
> >> further.  I am not sure I like the idea of Anyone, Anytime, having
> >> access... here are my as yet incomplete thoughts:
> >>
> >> 1. you can get in any time if you have a key
> >> 2. you can get in any time if you have an account on pony and internet
> >> access on your phone
> >>
> >> these 2 have the similarity that the person arriving has been minimally
> >> vetted by someone who's already trusted... there's a chain of trust
> >> going on, however weak those may be.

Trying to fix or change something, only guarantees and perpetuates its
existence.