[Noisebridge-discuss] Who wants Kilograms of Shapelock?

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Sat Mar 13 00:57:38 UTC 2010

OK folks,

Spoke with the distro and this is his story in a nutshell:

CAPA 6800 used to be made by two companies; DOW and PERSTORP.  DOW ran their
factory in to the ground so when a hurricane knocked it out, demand went
through the roof.  However, Perstorp is meeting the demand and by January
2011, they should have the market handled.  Though demand is greater than
supply, because of the economy, noone can afford materials right now, so
demand isn't too bad.  That means prices are still reasonable and lead times
are about two months.

I will be getting a quote on Monday.  Our own demand is in excess of 40KG.
 I imagine some of that may subside a bit knowing the time line, BUT this
stuff is NOT sold in 20KG increments, so that's no big deal.

Now, the interesting news.  I can get this straight from the company if we
get a 1000 pound pallet of it.  We're already at about 100.  I don't expect
much more excitement, but I'm going to go ahead and see what the price would
be for 1000 pounds.  Maybe a pallet of it would be fun for some Noisebridge
kits to be sold at Maker Faire.

~ $1.20 : 4oz CAPA 6800
~ $0.20 : 2 Magnets
~ $0.20 : 2 Color fading RGB LED's
~ $0.20 : 2 CR2032 batteries
~ $0.20 : Asshole Tax
~ $2.00 per kit

Sell for $10.  PROFIT!!!??!?!?!?!?!!?

Just an idea.  I'll get the prices, regardless.