[Noisebridge-discuss] eZ430 Chronos

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Sun Mar 21 19:45:23 UTC 2010

Mikolaj Habryn wrote:
> Anyone else get the eZ430 Chronos dev kit? I finally started playing
> with it this evening, and find it neat, but want more nodes to try
> building a secure mesh networking stack on (when you only have 1k of
> flash*, you can only have at most 1024 bugs to find in your code,
> right?). I also have vague ideas for smart-dust-style devices to
> build, but find the idea of soldering tiny 0.5mm pitch devices into
> quarter-inch-diameter enclosures faintly daunting, and would rather
> attempt it in company, preferably with beer. Anyone up for a hack

I've been wearing my ez430 watch since I got it in Feb, but haven't
managed to do anything more exciting than read the source code and look
at the python base-station code that people have hacked together.  I'd
love a hack night if you're free this week.

I wanted to mostly try software changes first. (sleep monitor using the
interrupt-on-motion feature of the onboard accelerometer)  Later I might
try rolling my own watch innards and mounting them in a pocket watch
with a better battery and display.

But just collaborating on setting up the toolchain and doing some minor
changes would be great.  I've got a windows box set aside at home for
that, but I can dual-boot my macbook if we can't get the open source gcc
stuff working.