[Noisebridge-discuss] Binocular microscope

dpc weasel at meer.net
Tue Mar 23 15:46:01 UTC 2010

Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 01:03:21AM -0800, Mikolaj Habryn wrote:
>> build, but find the idea of soldering tiny 0.5mm pitch devices into
>> quarter-inch-diameter enclosures faintly daunting, and would rather
>
> Sounds like we need a microscope, some fine pitch solder, and a
> sharpening stone for Weller tips.
>
> I used a scope like this one at a previous job:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10x-40x-Binocular-Stereo-Microscope-w-Boom-Light_W0QQitemZ370346425279QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563a5dfbbf

> Looks like less awesome stereo scopes are available as cheap as $150
> used on EBay.

i admit to not having great ebay/search skills, but the main difference
in the scopes in this price range seems to be boom vs 'small-ish'
platform. platform is cheaper but would limit the size of the board one
could work on.

opinions?

\p

---
A trickle-up model for the new information economy could be effective
with the proper filters (our own). Ideas bubbling up instead of
homogenizing memes raining down. - Scott Marshall