[Noisebridge-discuss] Chemistry at Noisebridge

Mark Cohen markc at binaryfaith.com
Thu Mar 25 22:53:50 UTC 2010

It depends on the type of processing.

For B+W processing, the only chemical that needs "special" treatment is fixer (ammonium thiosulfate), this is because if used properly (over and over and tested until bad) will contain high amounts of soluble silver that will be detected in the water supply and if you have enough, you can be fined for.

Developer is considered harmless and stop is diluted glacial acetic acid, like vinegar.

If you're doing E6 or K14, other considerations need to be taken into account.

If you're doing tin types, cyanotypes it should be fairly safe.

If you're doing Daguerrotypes the whole process is deadly due to mercuric oxide used in the development process.

.. I doubt that anyone will be doing enough processing and dumping of fixer that would be dangerous. I don't know where they moved to, but the Harvey Milk Photo center used to take used fixer and have it dealt with properly (removed the silver and had a 3rd party take the chemicals out).

Mark