[Noisebridge-discuss] Why the IRC trolls are still there [drama]

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Mar 26 02:00:53 UTC 2010

Ceren Ercen wrote:
> Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>> Sai Emrys wrote:
>>
>> Where's your solidarity for the other members of
>> our community?
>
> No, lots of other members of "our" community are pretty much fed up with
> your behavior too, Jake. Don't hide behind us. You're being a lulzcow.

Hi Ceren,

I am not hiding behind you and I don't intend to come off as requesting
your help. My comment was directed to Sai for a specific reason.

You and I hardly interact. I don't think I've even seen you in person in
what? Months? What is the chip on your shoulder with me actually about?

I was not involved in anyway when the IRC channel was taken over. I did
not request or appreciate the death threats, anti-semetic slurs, or
other harassment that I've had via unsolicited telephone today.

I also don't appreciate your snark like this:

> Welcome to the internet, trolls will be trolls. Some of us are stable
> enough to deal with them and ignore them when necessary.

Perhaps your statement wasn't meant to imply that I'm not stable but it
sure seems like it. I don't appreciate it. I'm perfectly stable.

However, I'm fed up with the level of personal harassment that I've been
getting in the last year. Direct intimidation, threats of violence,
racism, homophobia, and more. Your email indicates that this is just the
way the internet works, the way that jerks are, and you think that it's
fine because I'm somehow far from perfect myself. That seems rather sad
to me and frankly, if someone was targeting you, I wouldn't stand around
and suggest you take it because of our personal conflicts.

Today I've logged over fifteen separate events and not the least of
which encouraged me to commit suicide for being a "faggot jew" - I'd
love for it to stop.

> You've just been amazingly nasty, even to the people who've known you
> for a decade, and made excuses for your behavior over the past year.
> I've seen some of your private emails, attacking, belittling, bullying
> people you're disagreeing with, and they're ghastly.

If you'd like to talk about these things with me, if you'd like to
resolve those issues, I'm more than willing to try to understand your
perspective. I'm also willing to try to come to a solution that works
for the both of us.

If you're not able to or unwilling, I'm not really sure what to say
beyond being generally sorry that things have gone this way.

I remember when you became a member and I vouched for you. I personally
stated that I found you to be a good person. I also said that you were
inspiring and of upstanding character. Our interactions previous to you
joining Noiesbridge had been generally positive. At some point this
changed and we have become uncomfortable with each other.

If you'd like to fix it, please consider writing me off of the list or
contacting me in in a way that you're comfortable with.

> You might want to reconsider how easily you can be provoked into lashing
> out at friends and acquaintances.

I've certainly been thinking a lot about your perception.

> If you're truly overwhelmed by private life issues, the responsible
> thing to do is step down and hand over control to capable parties, not
> matryr-vogue about how busy busy busy you are.

I'm not in control of the IRC channel, I'm not formally or legally part
of Noisebridge in a position of power, I'm hardly even around
Noisebridge because of my current time commitment to other projects.

I am not a martyr: I am actively being verbally attacked, and harassed
in multiple ways. I have attempted to remove myself from this to the
best of my ability short of changing my email and telephone number. I
have only replied to your email because I do not believe that you are
acting in bad faith. During the course of writing this email, I received
another harassing call. I guess that makes it sixteen events for the day.

So I'll ask you directly, Ceren: How have I not done just what you've
suggested? How have I not done it before you suggested it?

What more should I do? What would bring you some kind of happiness and
what would help to resolve our inter-personal issues? What would result
in a better Noisebridge overall in your opinion?

Best,
Jake