[Noisebridge-discuss] Should the NB board take action wrt IRC?

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Fri Mar 26 22:39:12 UTC 2010

On 3/26/10 3:34 PM, Sai Emrys wrote:
> While you're at it, you may want to consider
> http://freenode.net/group_registration.shtml

Oh, that's new.

Yeah, that means that the NB board should submit a group registration
form *instead of* a letter, with a note indicating that we want to
regain control of our channel.

However, per that page, *the NB board must do this*, not some random
member claiming to represent NB.  Freenode will not respect the latter.

As for the security discussion ... the #postgresql channel has run on
freenode for eight years without anyone using the kind of security
precautions being discussed, and has never been hijacked, and the same
is true of most other channels.  I think the precautions discussed are
way over the top.

Of course, we *did* register a group channel, and as a result are able
to call on Freenode for help.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus