[Noisebridge-discuss] SSL MITM issues

Ryan Castellucci ryan.castellucci at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 05:32:17 UTC 2010

We can't really blackball them because they issue legit certs, and
they don't necessarily have a choice in the matter, though I would
like to see legal precedent that the government can compel someone to
produce false documents.

It happens that a technical solution already exists to this form of evil.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~perspectives/firefox.html

It does fingerprint checking from diverse sites, plus tracking of
changes to the fingerprint.  Hard to tell a legit change in cert from
a forced one, but you can at least be notified that it's not at least
x days old.  A forged cert can't have the same fingerprint as the
original since the CA is never in possession of the legit private key.

Ryan Castellucci http://ryanc.org/