[Noisebridge-discuss] interesting semi-open phone and development platform

Ian Atha thatha at thatha.org
Mon Mar 29 03:47:30 UTC 2010

I have one of those. Sadly so.

They sold it claiming it can run Android but at the time I bought it,
Android wasn't publicly available. After begging and claiming that
it's false advertising their their vice-general counsel met with him.
He promised that Engineering would sent me the Android firmware. They
sent me a binary blob along with a Windows utility to flash the
firmware (they didn't mention Windows as a requirement when I bought
it).

After flashing it . . . the Android OS is half-baked with a lot of
features that _make_ it Android (such as battery management, smart
out-of-memory notifications, et cetera) missing.

They've been very unresponsive to me request to return it (although I
was promised it's an option) and they seem to be unable to figure out
(correctly) how much my refund ought to be.

The Android implementation has improved but I got so turned off
initially that I didn't spend more time on their platform.