[Noisebridge-discuss] google war driving

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat May 1 00:24:51 UTC 2010

On 4/30/2010 4:11 PM, karen marcelo wrote:

> the point is privacy rights are eroding thru time.

I was rather peeved that the clinton administration engaged in the
largest erosion of civil liberties since the second world war, but then
there was the bush administration...

Privacy as a right is in fact not something found in our constitution.
it is found in some others, example "the european convention on human
rights". freedom from intervention by the state or others is generally
derived either from due process rights, or equal protection.

we (as in the united states) have steadily enacted laws that protect
certain kinds of private information. either by restricting the scope of
the people authorized to handle it (hippa ferpa etc)or simply by
forbidding actions that would result from private knowledge example
Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, which attempts to preclude
problem resulting from knowledge asymmetry, conditions that would result
in market failure (example the inability to buy indivual health
insurance due to a pre-existing condition), or civil rights violations
rather than to preclude the retention and distribution of such data.

>  laws arent keeping up with new devices.  people themselves arent aware
> of these laws or choose not to excercise them because we all want our apps.  and there's lots of if a is doing it and so is b why cant c
> logic going around.

it's not clear to me what value is retained by say forbidding the
collection of broadcast mac addresses (notwithstanding that collecting
them is one of the basic functions of all devices that use them).