[Noisebridge-discuss] Poly tarp tape supplier in the Bay Area?

Christopher Rasch crasch at gmail.com
Fri May 14 01:19:42 UTC 2010

A friend of mine is working on a poly tarp dome cover for Flipside.
Unfortunately, due to a shipping snafu, the tape she ordered to seal the
tarps hasn't arrived.  Does anyone know where she could find a) a local
(SF Bay Area) source for the tape (or suitable substitute) b) someone
who might know of a local source ?   I've attached the tape requirements
below.

Thanks for any suggestions!

"The tarp material is called "Flashgro." http://www.ncwgs.com/flashgro.php

The description says the black backing (which is the side I need to
tape) is "poly." My best guess is that this is the same "poly" as in
poly tarps. Apparently there are 2 types of tarp, vinyl and poly, and in
the context of tarps, "poly" stands for polyethylene.

I'm looking for polyethylene tape, at least 1.5" wide, which can be used
to seal seams on poly tarps. Apparently very few things stick to poly
tarps very well (and I can verify this, because I have this ferocious
double-sided tape called 3M VHB - Very High Bond - and not even this
sticks to it well, it peels off easily).

I'd like a black color to match the tarps I'm working with but I'll
consider anything if I can get it before the weekend. I need 100-120  yd.

The exact product I ordered was this:
http://www.findtape.com/product550/Nashua-Heavy-Duty-Tarp%20Tape.aspx?tid=18&info=tarp+tape
<http://www.findtape.com/product550/Nashua-Heavy-Duty-Tarp%20Tape.aspx?tid=18&info=tarp+tape>
(on the manufacturer's website:
http://www.covalenceadhesives.com/SearchProductsConfigDetails.aspx?ID=660)

I tried contacting the manufacturer (Covalence Adhesives which is part
of Berry Plastics), by looking on their website for retail outlets, and
wound up having a phone conversation with one Jim Engel at a local
manufacturer sales office, and he called around and the only place he
could suggest that sells it is White Cap Construction Supply in San
Jose, but I called them and they said they don't carry it.

BAC Industries also seems to make a tarp tape (see:
http://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/Tarp_Tape.html and
http://www.bacindustries.com/product3-tarp-access-2x35-tarp-tape-black.php)
but that brand seems to cost more ($4 for 35' as opposed to $6 for 30
yds) and there is less information available about adhesive type, etc. I
haven't called BAC yet to find out about distributors, I guess I will
try that tomorrow morning."