[Noisebridge-discuss] Another Hub Banished to Obsolescence

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue May 11 18:28:02 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Andy Isaacson's message of Mon May 10 23:29:29 -0700 2010:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 08:45:32PM -0700, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> SATA, really?  Most of the bays I saw at 2169 when last I looked (which
> was many months ago to be sure) were SCSI, SCA or worse.

I think there's an off-white Supermicro machine that was SCSI. There are
also two black 2-3 U's that draw ~250 W each at idle.

When I looked inside, it seemed like the drive chassis bay was a
separate plastic and metal box and backplane.
Maybe we could just rip these out, add disks and connect them to a
separte power supply and connect them to existing hosts?

Stallion could also stand to be a bit beefier, CPU wise.

One project idea I've been kicking around is to ditch the problem-prone
laptops precariously perched atop the walls that are driving the
touchpanels.

I'm thinkking that I could run an instance of X with multiple screens
outputting to a USB->VGA adaptor, and run usb-over-cat5 to the
touchpanels, and break out the ports with a powered USB hub.

> There was an IPPower 4-port, I think DrJ used it for some data center
> stuff at some point?  I don't know if it's in use now.

It is in use now: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Network#IP_PDU, we
could swap for the ports that are in use for the switches now.

--j