[Noisebridge-discuss] RFID, TransLink/Clipper

Daniel Farina drfarina at acm.org
Thu May 20 05:09:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Jeffrey Malone
<ieatlint at tehinterweb.com> wrote:
> My understanding of Translink:
> [....]

This is very useful information; however, my goal was not so much to
actually manipulate the card or mess with the transit system, but I
figured reading the unique ID number as printed would alone be useful.
What attracted were the following thoughts:

* Not have to carry another RFID card and thicken my wallet while
enabling some RFID applications
* Leverage the work done by the municipal government to distribute the
unique cards for very low cost (to the end-user, at least)
* Reduce the barrier to entry for novel uses of RFID cards, since an
increasing number of people will have translink anyway.

I should have placed more emphasis on the availability of readers,
since you mention that it is using a non-standard band. This is at
least partially a question of economics...

For example, would it make any sense to make a translink-card driven
door-(un)locking infrastructure? Or is that a silly idea?

fdr