[Noisebridge-discuss] Electron Microscope

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Fri May 28 23:02:28 UTC 2010

Before you read my rambles, I want to second miah's response. Larry, it's
great that you've shown interest, and I think we all encourage you to come
to Noisebridge and help us work on it.

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Ian Atha <thatha at thatha.org> wrote:

> The SEM does have problems. The vacuum pump often ends up spurting
> fluid into the vacuum chamber.
>
> There have been several events held by Mike and minimal participation.
> In total, 5 people have shown interest in the SEM.

I don't think it's fair to quantify interest or the quality of a potential
project by how many people have shown interest. I've initiated many projects
at NB which were just me fucking around with things. As Christie said,
things are slow, but I think the SEM is something specifically intended for
Noisebridge out of a love for our community. Further, it's fucking cool to
be able to say we're working on repairing it.

> Christie, please remember that unless you are a registered CPA it is
> against the law to offer tax advice.

It's against the law to do half the things we do at Noisebridge. We do them
because it's awesome, fun, and we have passion for it. If Christie is
correct, she helped clear the air, or at least direct Larry in the right
direction without the need to pay an outside party to tell us what we can
figure out on our own.

> Lastly, unless Noisebridge has offered Michael Kan a receipt for the
> SEM, I don't think it's fair to claim it's donated. I certainly hope
> that various gizmos I've left around at the Noisebridge are not
> considered "donations" implicitly, and I may opt to take them away
> from Noisebridge at any point of time.

I think the ethic of common sense falls into place here. I've donated a
fuckton of things to NB, and never got receipts for any of it, nor do I
care. If we start trying to create rules and regulations for things like "a
list of what I've donated to Noisebridge" we begin to create bureaucracy and
our entire goal is lost.