[Noisebridge-discuss] surface mount soldering equipment at NB?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sat May 29 00:31:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 05:25:19PM -0700, Gian Pablo Villamil wrote:
> Just wanted to take stock of what we have in the way of surface mount
> soldering gear at NB. I know there is a surface mount tip on one of
> the soldering irons, but do we have anything else - eg. a hot plate or
> oven.

There's a toaster oven (it was on the hack shelf last I saw) with a sign
that says "please turn me into a reflow soldering oven!".

It's been there since 2008.

All it needs is a thermocouple, an AVR, a relay, and a small quantity of
hacking.

Anecdotally, you can run a SMT oven by hand if you have a thermometer --
just turn off the burners a minute or 30 seconds before your thermometer
gets to the target temp.

-andy