[Noisebridge-discuss] Electron Microscope

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sat May 29 02:28:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Ian Atha <thatha at thatha.org> wrote:
> The actual question at hand is what counts as donation. If the donator
> (is that a word?) believes that the SEM is simply _stored_ at the
> space (as per Andy's email) and not _donated_ then all such discussion
> is invalid.

Not 'invalid' so much as 'moot'.

What counts? Whatever both the donator and recipient want to donate.

And yes, donations only cover "ownership" (or in the case of services,
usage), not storage location.

Which is why private stuff left at NB but not donated is still theirs.
You can lend something, or store it; NB can also refuse to keep your
stuff, and return it to you or (if you fail to take it back when
asked) remove it from the premises (e.g. putting it outside). Or, if
you abandon it, take ownership. But NB can't just own whatever's in
the space.

FWIW: I think that saying "don't leave your shit here" is perfectly
sensible request. Saying "if you leave your laptop here, it's to be
expected that someone will steal it" is not.

> can I count the hours I drove lugging Noisebridge crap from my federal
> taxes? Hm...

Yes, you can (TTBOMIK) tax-deductibly donate professional services. At
fair market rates (as judged by the donator and their IRS auditor -
which is why NB should never be making such determinations :-P).

Would you? Not typically for something that mundane / unprofessional.
I've only ever seen it done for someone's actual professional-life
services.

- Sai