[Noisebridge-discuss] Donation Machine (was SHOW ME THE MONEY)

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Thu Nov 25 00:49:46 UTC 2010

A while back I obtained some surplus vending machine bill acceptors
with the intention of making a (more secure) donation machine. Idea:
stick in a bill, get a sticker.
(I've found donation machines to be surprising lucrative: my Dorky the
Donation Bot netted $50+ at Maker Faire for NO REASON AT ALL.)

Anyway, I played with the surplus acceptors and found them
(unsurprisingly-- they were takeouts from the field)  temperamental to
the point where I think it would be easier just to rip out the control
electronics and use an Arduino.

This would be a super fun learning project for mid-to-advanced Arduino
people: there are motors, optical, and magnetic sensors to control,
but I'm flat out of spare cycles. I'm happy to donate the gear and
point people in the right direction regarding interfacing... someone
step up and be point person?