[Noisebridge-discuss] Temperature Controlled Soldering Irons

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Nov 28 10:22:43 UTC 2010

I read the reviews on the Radio Shack site and they were bad, some of
them.  I am going to go out on a limb and say this may not be worth the
money, although maybe it is.  They are $80/ea at radio shack, which is a
good place to get something that you might have to return to the store for
replacement over and over again.  Madell sells them for $67 plus shipping.

I still think we should modify the soldering irons we have already, by
adding thermocouples and temperature control to them.  Even if we buy
brand-new power supplies (the key to operating our current irons at higher
wattage with easy power control) I have been getting ones for $8 which
would do it fine.  That just leaves a hank of themocouple wire, a
skillshare of simple thermocouple-amplifier boards, and a large capacitor
to make the junctions.

Even if it cost as much as the Radio Shock irons, the value to our
collective education is priceless (plus we can sell Temperature Controlled
soldering irons to other hackspaces for a profit to support the space).

-jake

PS i am serious
PPS does anyone have some type-K thermocouple wire?

---- original mess ----
Michael Shiloh Wrote:

Don, it's up to $80, but I wonder if this is the same model you refer to:

Digital Soldering Station
Model:64-053   $79.99