[Noisebridge-discuss] usb 'dead drops' at noisebridge?

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 17:40:15 UTC 2010

Like I mentioned in my 5mof talk last week, if we mount the devices on our
bodies we can relegate their use to the cerebellum, which handles motor
integration, and remove awareness of them from the forebrain.

For this to work most effectively we'd have to move away from the
one-interface-per-machine model and towards one-interface-per-user.

If anyone wants to help develop a soft, bodymounted keyboard, especially if
they are good with C, arduino, or just plain old stubborn, ping me.

R.

mediumreality.com
On Nov 1, 2010 10:01 AM, "Mitch Altman" <maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I wish I *knew* what it was about. It is, at the moment, really in the
realm of wishes and fantasy on my part.

> We somehow have followed a path of following using keyboards and screens
and mouses to interact with computers, with software that is written to
somehow make the best of this. We can do incredible and amazing things with
things as they are. But, if we take a step back and take a look at where
things stand, you'll have to admit that even the best written software is
incredibly tedious (at best!). For instance -- think of your favorite
program. What steps do you need to take to get the ideas in your mind to be
expressed through that software? We can get really good at those steps (and
we do!). But, what if those steps were more intuitive to someone who hasn't
practiced those steps for as long as us geeky people have put into them?
What if they somehow fit into the way we've lived life for the last zillions
of years of evolving on the planet?

> Like I said, these are totally vague, and abstract, thoughts at the
moment. Of course, there are invasive means imaginable, such as electrodes
in our brains, but maybe there are less intrusive measures, too? But, in any
case, whatever all ways we could possibly come up with, what could it be
like if there were some way(s) to interact with powerful computing machines
in ways that weren't so damn cumbersome and tedious?

> There's got to be ways to get beyond this current computer paradigm of
keyboards, screens, pointer-devices...

> Mitch.
>

> Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:45:01 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] usb 'dead drops' at noisebridge?
> From: emprameen at gmail.com
> To: maltman23 at hotmail.com
>
> What is this about? What do you mean a different computing paradigm? This
is something I'm extremely interested in, but I feel like it has a lot to do
with physics and biology and chemistry which I only understand at varying
basic levels.

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 00:01:56 -0500
>> From: rubin at starset.net
>> To: maltman23 at hotmail.com
>> CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>
>> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] usb 'dead drops' at noisebridge?
>>

>> Mitch, you could just not run Windows and then be about 99% ahead of the
>> Trojan curve. :)
>
> As it turns out, I've never had a trojan, virus, worm, or any other
unwanted software on my computer. So, regardless of OS, I'm 100%. :)

> I really do hate all operating systems ('cause they all suck -- really,
they do). And, since I need to use Windows to run the free, yet Windows-only
proprietary software that is needed to develop various microcontrollers I
use, do I really need to install another OS just so I can appear to not use
Windows (which I already paid for anyhow?).

> As powerful as these computer-thingies are as they currently exist, my
dream is that we can develop an entirely new computing paradigm that has
much more to do with the way we evolved over the last 3 million years than
this bizarre way we use keyboards and screens (and mouses -- which I avoid
whenever possible). I wish I had some concrete ideas on how to proceed to
make that a reality. But, for now, I'll just let it keep seething in the
background of what's left of my mind...