[Noisebridge-discuss] Couches

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Fri Nov 5 08:03:04 UTC 2010

* Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> [101102 16:12]:
> http://www.core77.com/blog/object_culture/monster_post_crap_ive_built_-_banquettes_poor_mans_couches_17752.asp
>
> I'm up for making some.  The above process could be adjusted to be more
> easy (i.e. not curved), and also to be bedbug-proof (i.e. no cracks).

No cracks is key in terms of bb-proofing. I witnessed bb eggs in gaps
that couldn't have been much more than .010". In a design similar to
above-linked, in addition to zero-gapping, it'd also also be important
to use a grade of plywood that doesn't have any voids in the edges (or
to fill any gaps with some sort of putty/filler.

> (Alternately we could tear off the covers from any of the existing
> couches and recover them bedbug-proof-ly with vinyl.)
>
> Not sure I'll do any of this all by myself but if there are a couple
> people with interest, I'm totally up for collaboration.  Also I have
> experience (and a few photographs) with tearing apart a real couch to
> see what was inside!  It's almost as good as years of upholstery experience!

I'm up for collaborating on couch de-construction. Thought: how about
stripping a couch down to the bare frame, sealing up any gaps between
the wood pieces with glue (low-viscosity epoxy or ?), painting the
frame with a glossy paint, and putting back (&/or making anew) only
enough cushioning for human butt, back & arms. Make all cushions
removable and washing-machinable. Might look kinda funny in the way
that a shaved cat looks odd...but would make it easy to inspect &
clean the entire couch on a regular basis.

Re Vinyl -- AFAIK bb's don't chew holes through fabric to burrow
inside, but rather hide out in seams & crawl through openings. The
main challenge would be to have all the external seams be flat &
non-foldy & zippered/sewn tightly shut. I think a reasonably tight
weave of fabric would be ok. Vinyl could be ok too...maybe somewhat
harder for bb's to crawl up, and definitely easier to wipe clean. I
guess personally I think vinyl is somewhat less comfortable to sit on.

Also, girlgeek's "impermeable plastic layer with a removable outer
cloth cover" and Rameen's "sling shaped couches / woven strapping /
low hanging hammocks" sound interesting.

Furniture hacking on Saturday afternoon sounds good to me.

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact