[Noisebridge-discuss] Diaspora hack session

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Fri Nov 5 08:09:02 UTC 2010

* Ilya Zhitomirskiy <ilya at joindiaspora.com> [101104 19:50]:
> ... weekly/bi-weekly Diaspora hack session. I was just wondering if
> that will be alright? We were thinking about Sat. Nov. 13 at 1 pm.

Sounds great to me (though I've no idea how that particular time
works out wrt other stuff going on not having been in the space for
a while...hopefully that changes soon). And forgive me if this be
hijacking the thread, but I've some thoughts around social networking
& wondering how it might relate to what y'all at Diaspora are up to.

So...my beef with Facebook has to do with lock-in. Sure, it's great
to connect & share & whatnot. But what if some other provider does
it a bit differently in a way that suits me better? And what if it
works out better yet more differently for another friend for whom I
don't want to have to abandon $SOCIALNETWORK for whateverelse and ?

I guess what I'm getting at is "federated social networking" and
"universal-ish social graph", etc. How might what Diaspora is working
on relate to this?

I've heard the internet was structured in a distributed way such
that it could survive a nuclear war. Well, that's kinda glum...
NO NUKES! Ok, let's say instead, structured in a way capable of
surviving a major solar storm. Yet entities like Facebook push for
a centralized model that calls for everyone to rely on them. What
would be cool is if folks using The Well, Friendster, Myspace, Orkut,
Google Me, Diaspora, (or hell, even if I wanted to link a gopher page
somehow...only slightly joking :) could all interrelate. You know,
like we're all hanging out in the same town travlin' from one party
to another. Well, ok, maybe it's more complicated than that. Or maybe
it's more simple. Whatever. What do you say about interoperability? I
seek an alternative to Facebook, but not if said alternative angles
for the lock-in as well.

Cheers,

John

(btw, the first time I ever heard of Diaspora was while sitting on a
couch at Noisebridge...)

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact