[Noisebridge-discuss] cheap USB Analyzer, or signal integrity tools?

Michael Prados mprados at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 07:33:41 UTC 2010

Thanks for taking a look, Erik.  The Bus Pirate does not appear to
support USB, and in any case, the PIC 24F maxes out at 16 MIPS, so it
wouldn't be capable of interfacing with High Speed USB at 480 Mbit/s.
I'm sure it's useful for other things, and probably about time I
checked one out.

I've been searching on these and similar terms, and have not been too
satisfied with the results.  Some of the high speed capable USB
analyzer peripherals might be worth the cost, though.  Here is one of
the better comparisons I've seen:

http://www.summitsoftconsulting.com/UsbAnalyzers.htm

They seem pretty fond of this unit, which is a relative bargain at
$500 (compared to some of the $20k options I've seen):
http://www.internationaltestinstruments.com/StoreFront/Store_Prod1_1480A-USB-20-Protocol-Analyzer.aspx

Still not open source.  And none of these seem to tell you anything
about signal integrity, still seems like you have to put some serious
cash into a multi-GHz scope to do any kind of signal integrity work.

In general, the cost of electronic test equipment goes up with
frequency, so it's not so surprising that there are so few cheap
solutions.  But on the other hand, USB 2.0 is approaching a decade
old, and is ubiquitous and cheap (via lots of mass produced chips.)  I
think it's a shame that the debug tools are still a bit inaccessible.

-Mike