[Noisebridge-discuss] cheap USB Analyzer, or signal integrity tools?

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 17:45:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 8:28 AM, John E <neurofog at gmail.com> wrote:

> What about using a FPFGA + High Speed AD Converter to make a DIY one?
>
> John

I checked opencores.org, and found a few quasi-related high speed USB
projects, but It looks like there's a lack of good open hardware/open core
signal analyzer projects  there (I haven't checked the forums for discussion
yet).  A new project with the same price range as the ones linked to in this
thread (~1-5k range) would still be more attractive if it was rooted in open
design with *nix compatible software components.

It would be great way to get more folks sharing digital design skills and
developing drivers for things like SANE at Noisebridge.

 Lets sketch it out more, it sounds like a very big project with some
preliminary questions to answer:
 1) Why aren't there widely known open source high frequency analyzer
projects?
 2) Why are the cheapest high Fq. (nS resolution) signal analyzers still
around the  $1k price point (and why are the cheaper ones cheap)?

Are there any new families of FPGA's that *are* fast enough for 2.0 and
still affordable to work with?   Are the analyzers linked previously all
using asics or what?

-r. miloh