[Noisebridge-discuss] cheap USB Analyzer, or signal integrity tools?

weasel at meer.net weasel at meer.net
Mon Nov 8 18:26:42 UTC 2010

Michael Prados <mprados at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Any one have some good solutions to these problems?  I'll probably
> post elsewhere too, but I figured on giving it a try here first.

i started writing a usb protocol analyzer for an fpga a little while
back. however, it was only 1.x. w/ 2.x and 3.x the data rate was just
to high for my little fpga so i just gave up.

this is sort of the problem w/ high speed test equipment, the basic
units are already priced out of the reach of hobby-ists. for example,
when i started looking at doing a 4x SATA analyzer the high speed fpga
dev kit alone was something like 4k USD. i could have done something
w/ plopping down a PHY but back then there weren't so many to choose
from and i'd still need to do the high speed lines out of the PHY to
the 'analyzer' bits, and i'm not doing a pcb like that any time soon.

at the day job we've had a couple analyzers. some people on the
internets like the lecroy units, but i think they suck ass (the PCIe
one is a little better). we have a new one from SerialTek that's
pretty nice (well, i use the sata analyzer and injector), and the usb
3.0 one is supposed to be here 'any day now'. it isn't open source,
but the hw itself is ~40k (at least that's what i was told when being
warned not to drop it).

\p