[Noisebridge-discuss] learning UI design

jim jim at well.com
Tue Nov 9 00:53:47 UTC 2010

Microsoft The Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design,
Microsoft Press, 1995. ISBN 1-55615-679-0.
   "This provides guidelines for developing user interfaces that run in
Microsoft Windows. It describes the components of the Windows user
interface and explains design principles for software developers and
designers of Windows-based applications. It is also distributed as a
help file with the Microsoft Developers Network."
   The above is from this GUI design-oriented site:
   http://www.gui-designers.co.uk/resources/biblio.htm

   I remember being impressed with the thorough and
comprehensive treatment of GUI elements, notably not
really specific to Windows or any other product.
   I assume your interest is in human-computer
interactions as much as essential graphic design,
i.e. how to demaind the fewest mouse clicks to
get info and such, yes?

   GUI design is the topic of a number of PhD theses,
so combing for them might yield good info.
   There are now college courses on GUI design.

   Search keywords include
graphical interface interactive design human computer machine

   Here's a website that pertains:
http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed2/book/HIG.Preface.html#45875
(a link from http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed2/book/HIG.Preface.html
re java GUI interfaces).