[Noisebridge-discuss] cheap USB Analyzer, or signal integrity tools?

Michael Prados mprados at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 01:30:47 UTC 2010

Well, Ada seems to agree with your friend about the Beagle product:

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/11/09/beagle-480-is-here/

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!  I'm sad there isn't an open
source variant of the relatively affordable USB analyzer genre, but
there are some out there which aren't absurdly expensive.  I'll
probably get my employer to spring for one of these; not sure which
yet.

I'm willing to put a little effort into any effort towards making an
open source version of these, but probably can't spear head it.
Meanwhile, I'll add the USB-ethernet-USB technique to my cue to try
out (of course, if this can be nicely documented, it might be just as
useful a solution for the open source community as custom hardware
would be.)

Looks like I don't have any especially good/cheap options for the
signal integrity side.  I'll try out the hard drive ADC for kicks some
time (I'll try to put a shout out if any one wants to play with this
with me at the space,) although it might be more trouble than it's
worth to get a clean measurement of a differential signal.  Maybe I
can find some good deals on a higher frequency scope- there doesn't
happen to be one at Noisebridge, does there?

Cheers to everyone for a fruitful and interesting discussion of a
practical technical problem!

-mike

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM,
<travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org> wrote:
> My EE friend (who didn't know the USB version that kinetics uses) says:
>
> If the kinects thingie works with a PC, you can do it in software for $200
> http://www.sysnucleus.com/
>
> <http://www.sysnucleus.com/>If it's USB 1.0 you can do it in hardware for
> $400
> http://www.totalphase.com/products/beagle_usb12/
>
> <http://www.totalphase.com/products/beagle_usb12/>Although I'm sure there's
> somebody in a lab somewhere with one of these or better than can gin up most
> of the traces:
> http://www.totalphase.com/products/beagle_usb480/
>
> <http://www.totalphase.com/products/beagle_usb480/>USB (even 2.0) is not
> very challenging to sniff electrically if you have a clue of what you're
> doing. The data rate isn't incredibly high so most off-the-shelf logic
> analyzers can handle it.
> --
> Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.
> My emails do not have attachments; it's a digital signature that your mail
> program doesn't understand. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
> If you are a spammer, please email john at subspacefield.org to get blacklisted.

[REMOVE THIS TEXT BEFORE SENDING AN EMAIL!]