[Noisebridge-discuss] arduino fuses: how to modify easily?

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 20:47:18 UTC 2010

Hi Michael,

I wish Arduino were better documented!  I figured out close to what you are asking, but it took lots of experimenting, since I couldn't find any actual documentation on how Arduino works "under the hood".

Me and Rolf wanted to make our Mignonette Game kit Arduino compatible.  We use an ATmega168 (instead of a ATmega328), but the idea is the same.  Arduino comes with a 16MHz external crystal or ceramic resonator.  But we wanted it to run at 8MHz since ATmega chips can run off of much lower battery voltage when they are at 8MHz as compared to running at 16MHz.  We wanted to run on the internal 8MHz oscillator, but after doing some research saw that the internal oscillator isn't quite accurate enough to guarantee that we will be able to always communicate using an FTDI cable -- so we used an external 8MHz ceramic resonator.  (I experimented using the internal oscillator at 8MHz, and it worked fine, but since the Mignonette Game kit is for total beginners, I wanted it to be guaranteed to always work.)

I've attached the ADAboot bootloader that I used, together with the "makefile" that includes the fuse byte settings.  I used the Ladyada USBtinyISP and avrdude to program.  When you use the makefile, it will program the fuse bytes, then the bootloader.  Use this command:
     make atmega168_isp

Best,
Mitch.