[Noisebridge-discuss] brain-controlled robotics project

Steve Castellotti sc at puzzlebox.info
Fri Nov 12 01:35:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 14:32 -0800, Tom Cauchois wrote:

> This sounds completely awesome.  Do you have any materials about the
> neuroscience of what you're doing?

    Hi Tom, thanks for the positive feedback (c:

    As far as material I have a OO.org presentation I give to the
schools but currently its entirely visual. I have a recording of one of
the recent classes and have started transcribing the talk into the
presentation file "notes" screen but haven't finished yet. Most of the
information is in the form of analogies kids can relate to (but which
still remain accurate to the underlying science).

    For example:

    Think of your brain as a giant baseball stadium. With EEG we are all
standing outside and can't see anything happening on the field, let
alone hear and understand any single conversation in the stands. But
every once in awhile the crowd roars and cheers and from that we have a
pretty good idea something exciting is happening. If we hear happy
noises maybe the home time is winning or someone just made a good play.
If we hear booing and shouting maybe there was a bad call or an error
was made. We don't know for certain because we can't see for ourselves
but the more we learn about how the brain works and the better our tools
become the better we can understand what's going on inside.

    Now that said, there are scientists and researchers doing work which
directly accesses the brain, called "ECog." To do this they actually
have to cut past the skull and place sensors on the surface of the
brain. This is like installing a tiny window in the wall of the stadium.
Then they can see a corner of the field, or even overhear part of a
muffled conversation[1].

    The software we are going to use today however is very simple. Think
of this EEG headset as a radio, and this electrode which rests on your
forehead is the antenna. We can use it to "tune in" that baseball game
going on inside your head. Remember we still can't use it to see what's
happening on the field, but if we tune to the right station this will
let us hear the roar of the crowd clapping in cheering whenever you are
able to get very focused and pay attention.

    It won't matter what you are actually thinking about (because we
can't tell anyway). You can be doing math problems in your head, or
practicing translating a foreign language or planning about all the
things you would need to pack if you won a trip to go on vacation for an
entire month.

    Once that crowd is cheering, we just need to tune our radio to the
right frequency and see what we hear. If the crowd starts coming through
loud and clear then we know you're concentrating. If the sound is soft
and faint and there's a lot of static, then either you're not
concentrating very hard or we simply can't hear it.

    Now this is important.

    Just like every baseball stadium is different, so is everyone's
brain, but there are consistencies in layout and we do know roughly in
which areas to expect to find third base versus home plate. You've seen
what brains look like before, they all have funky little wrinkles all
over them. If you were to take two different brains and stretch them all
out flat you'd see the baseball fields look pretty much the same. Third
base is in the same place. But everyone's heads come in different shapes
and sizes, so the brain wrinkles up to fit in different ways. In some
people third base might be pointing up, in others it might be pointing
off to the side. That means some people will naturally be easier to
detect levels of concentration, and for others it will be harder. If
anyone has trouble today, no matter how hard you try, it doesn't means
than anyone is smarter or better than anyone else.

    When you concentrate, the neurons in your brain start firing
messages around, and these chemical processes generate very small
amounts of electricity which are still detectable all the way through
the skull, on the surface of your scalp. Its these changes in
electricity that we are are measuring. If you took one of the "AA" or
"AAA" batteries out of the TV remote control in your house and looked on
the side, you'll see on the side that it says 1.5 volts. Well the EEG is
actually a very precise voltmeter. It doesn't measure in volts however,
it measures in microvolts - millionths of a volt. So the changes we are
looking at are very tiny.

etc....

[1] http://www.aro.org/archives/2010/2010_501_1287521998.html

-S