[Noisebridge-discuss] Lathe

Heiko Panther heiko.panther at web.de
Fri Nov 12 16:24:16 UTC 2010

On 11/12/10 2:10 AM, Jesse welz wrote:

> To get a
> proper cut the first thing that must be done is to adjust the cutting
> tool height. (...) I normally
> adjust the carriage (WITHOUT the lathe motor engaged) so the cutting
> tool is right up against your bar stock's end. Then; on this
> particular lathe, a shim or shims must be used to raise the cutting
> tool so that it's cutting edge is aligned with the very center of the
> bar stock you are cutting. (...)
>
> I wish we had a Bridgeport type manual mill or a surface grinder or
> something to make a really nice one piece, permanent shim
I have access to a full-size mill at the Crucible and I can make such a
shim there. Maybe I can figure out what is needed next time I'm at
Noisebridge, but if you want send me a drawing and I'll make it to your
spec.

> I almost always come to NB
> on Monday nights for circuit hacking mondays
I'll try to go there next Monday. What is happening on Friday nights -
the calendar has a "Shop class" there?

Heiko