[Noisebridge-discuss] computer interfacing

Tymm Twillman tymmothy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 21:11:42 UTC 2010

In the exhibit world, these are fairly common:

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

-- switch-to-keyboard emulator (note that there is a USB version).

Also, along the same lines, I *heart* Teensy's

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

which you can very easily (and in the Arduino environment) program to be a virtual USB keyboard.

Also as Dr. Jesus mentioned the FTDI chips are good... and there are FTDI chips made specifically for parallel interfacing, and for very fast IO...

Another option is the BitWhacker -- you can build your own or pick one up from SparkFun pre-programmed.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=762

I also have friends who love LabJacks.

http://labjack.com/

and for low pin count interfacing, there's always the BusPirate

http://dangerousprototypes.com/bus-pirate-manual/