[Noisebridge-discuss] computer interfacing

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Sat Nov 13 23:15:01 UTC 2010

If you're down for even more microcontroller hacking, the ATTiny series can
be convinced to bitbang USB, including HID:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dicks/avr/usbtiny/

<http://www.xs4all.nl/~dicks/avr/usbtiny/>You'll probably want to use an
ATTiny2313 if you want more than 3 inputs without doing dirty ADC, mux, or
shift register tricks.
--
/jbm

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Jonathan Foote <jtfoote at ieee.org> wrote:

> One more option if you are down with some microcontroller hacking:
>
> Get a AVR usb dev board (AT90USBKEY2, $30 at the usual places), and
> with the LUFA open-source USB stack, you can make the board look like
> a USB HID keyboard (or mouse, or...) such that any input pin change
> can generate any arbitrary key events you want. No drivers, no hassle,
> should wake up a sleeping box just like a regular USB keyboard.
>
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 11:38 AM,
> <travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org<travis%2Bml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org>>
> wrote:
> > So, I've often wondered what the best way to control a computer with
> > simple NO/NC inputs would be.
> >
> > I used to rig buttons and such to the parallel port.
> >
> > But computers don't have parallel ports much any more.
> >
> > I also used to hook them to RS-232 ports.
> >
> > But those are going away too.
> >
> > So what's left?
> >
> > Last I heard, several years ago, the USB drivers were still somewhat
> > flaky.  Is it better now?
> >
> > Also, HOW exactly do I hook up to USB?  With parallel it was just some
> > passive circuits.  (Perhaps the answer here is "use Arduino")
> >
> > And, finally, how do I avoid polling loops?  (Perhaps again the
> > answer is "use arduino").
> >
> > And, for low-power scenarios, is there any obvious way to make a
> > system that waits in a very low power mode, then wakes up on certain
> > events?
> >
> > Things that come to mind are rigging something to soft power-on (can
> > this be done on a laptop?) or Wake-on-LAN (but that requires something
> > capable of sending custom ethernet packets, which itself might consume
> > a fair amount of power).
> > --
> > Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.
> > My emails do not have attachments; it's a digital signature that your
> mail
> > program doesn't understand. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
> > If you are a spammer, please email john at subspacefield.org to get
> blacklisted.