[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Frantisek is going to stop living at Noisebridge starting tonight.

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Tue Nov 16 18:18:24 UTC 2010

On 11/16/2010 11:35 AM, Albert Sweigart wrote:
> A bunch of stuff about someone specifically sleeping at Noisebridge

I gotta say - what a bummer to name Frantisek specifically on an open,
public, archived mailing list.

I agree with some of the things you've stated - though I personally do
not care if Frantisek sleeps at Noisebridge irregularly. I guess he
doesn't sleep there every Monday or Tuesday, rather he sleeps there when
he doesn't have another option for whatever reason. I see this as a
pretty class heavy discussion and it's slanted against those without
options. If someone generally misses BART - it's acceptable because
they're "doing the right thing" most of the time. We tolerate that
behavior because we understand that specific problem - it's a (upper)
middle class issue and we're sensitive to it. We've all missed a BART
ride and it sucks to have no option for some hard ass reasons.

Personally, I think it's pretty fucked up that he doesn't have other
options; part of the general Noisebridge goal is to provide an
alternative to the rest of the world for people in our community.
Frantisek is part of our community and has been for quite a while. I
wonder what will happen? Will someone step up and help him as he has
helped the Noisebridge community? Will we change some things at
Noisebridge to deal with a specific issue in our community that people
care about? Or will we turn our backs and tell him to get fucked?

With that said, we have long since agreed not to live in the space but I
will personally not ask Frantisek, a member of our community, to sleep
on the streets.

I understand the principles at play and I can't fucking live with myself
if I'm pushing him into the winter rain. I really dislike your appeal to
economics as a reason for your lack of compassion. If you really care
about Noisebridge and money issues, why don't you kick in some more money?

I'd probably resign my fiscal sponsorship if anyone seriously made it
"their cause" at Noisebridge to toss out Frantisek - that is the death
of compassion; it demonstrates rigidness of mind and hardness of heart.

Early on at Noisebridge, we had a few people living in the space as
helpers. They were aware that they were guests and they did everything
in their power to not abuse this special unnamed place in our little
community. All of them have moved on and most of them are hard core
Noisebridge supporters now. Win-win in my opinion.

Once long ago, we discussed having an Uchi-deshi at the space or a
hacker in residence. I propose that we make Frantisek our first
Uchi-deshi. Generally, this is a rotating system in Aikido - I suppose
it should be up for consensus how it would work in Noisebridge.

In any case, when last I checked, Frantisek was planning to make a new
hacker space in Mexico - I guess that means his intentions are quite
clearly to spread Noisebridge south. So how much do we want to press
this issue? How important is it to you?

What kind of alternative are you helping to create or are you just
calling him out by name with no real solution to the problem at hand?

All the best,
Jake