[Noisebridge-discuss] So, how many people live at noisebridge now?

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 22:11:53 UTC 2010

Hi to All! I'm glad that we will go through that as a group. I was expecting to
do so with a  small group of members or on a member meeting first but let's take
this road.   Sleeping and Noisebridge versus Living at Noisebridge   I think
that here Al got a clear point I would add that I'm actually living at  another
two or three places in the same time (Three Stone Hearth Kitchen for  example).
I'm actually not really "sleeping at Noisebridge" even if I sometimes
physically do so (last week way to much believe me). Sleeping may come handy but
it's not really important to me, I can sort it out pretty easily most of the
time. Know please let me explain what does mean to me living at Noisebridge.
Living at Noisebridge means taking this place as part of you. Place which
changes  because of you being present, radiating your energy, making your dreams
to come  through or just hanging around having good time and bad time sometimes.
We do  this together, that is the best par. All of that can happen at this place
because  of there are so many of "you" who are however so similar and so
different. To be  more concrete. I work on projects which I believe in. I invest
my energy, time  and money to make them happen. Many people at Noisebridge think
they should  happen and they are actually helping to realize them. I certainly
would like to  make them happen in the way that I can live by/from doing them
and I'm nearly at  that stage not being even 29. I'm doing what I believe I
should and I'm quite  pretty close of doing it “my way”. It's hard bread
sometimes to live around the  bay on less than $60 per week but I do it because
I believe in it. And it was  Noisebridge who is allowing me to do that. However
please note that the sleeping  at Noisebridge is not what I really need. Nope, I
can go for the shelter if I  like, I've been there before and it's actually
quite cool unfortunately you need  quite a bit of time to sign every day in and
you can not really work there. I go  there when I need to relax but I do not
have time! The true reason why I'm living  at Noisebridge is that I can work on
my projects learning such an incredible  amount of things on all the different
levels that it just blasts me out! All the  brains and cool people being there
for you if you ask for help or even offering a  hand by themselfs, that is
amazing. But please note you have to be physically at  Noisebridge to meet them
and to work with them - at least most of the time. So  Noisebridge is a really
amazing “think and do tank” which I'm trying to support  as much as I can. My
hungry hacker fee which I monthly pay is my major financial  investment, no
question about that but it's also the most important one. What  else I do? Well
anything what I like and I believe can contribute and several  things which I do
not like but has to be done. My major aim is to make  Noisebridge as homey as
possible for anyone who wants to be around and who is  supportive of the place.
Cooking, brewing and cleaning are just examples. And  again, I do not do these
activities to be "allowed" to stay at Noisebridge because  it's against the
rules and anyway I do not function like that. I do it because  it's me, it
happens to the places when I'm around. Yes I may sometimes be a  "bitch" and
help to keep people overlooking some things because of my "positive"  impact,
well sorry it's me too.    So if we skip sleeping at Noisebridge to have it
simple, am I not suppose to live  at Noisebridge? If so why?   Now parts which
are really controversial.    I need to have some of my things around because I
work with them or I need them to  function around the bay. If need to be all my
"living" is one back pack. Am I not  allowed to have it with me? If not that
would be a problem. Yes now I've more  things but they still can fit a usual
member shelf absolutely without problem and  they are clean and non toxic non
bad odor making etc. Second, I want to spend as  much of my productive time
around Noisebridge as possible which means that I've to  find a compromise with
the community. For majority of my stay, with exception of  last week and one or
two weeks long in past my staying around was not an issue  because it was not
very frequent (to majority of the members) irregular and quite.  The problem
kind of aroused when I've started the brewing classes in particular  because
I've finished the classes around 2 or 4 am in the morning and yes I really  did
not felt like going for Golden Gate. Again please note that I actually really
like to sleep out side on the beach or in the park (or someone garden if they do
not mind) and I do it on regular bases because I do need that, every week and
not  because of not having place were to stay, but because of need to be
outside. I  need to be in the nature and if I stay too much around Noisebridge
day or night it  doesn't do me well so I do not want to do it (as Miloh and many
other members now,  I'm just a country boy after all - by the way Scott is
having a really good time  in Alabama). However the strain of work which I had
lately to do was so big that I  started to skip nights or getting just small
bits of it and I would work, work and  work. That is how this "controversy"
really came up. I still do believe that you  should be allowed to crash at the
place if you work hard and this is the place  were you do it. Many members
believe that this is "unwritten rule" however some do  not.   Anyway I do
believe that Al wanted to say that:   sleeping at Noisebridge is not OK however
working is fine you should not have your  things all over the place making an
impression that you live there and somebody  is just sitting in "you chair" or
"tea room"   That are the major ones right? I do agree on that.   What makes me
a bit of worried is the next three brewing classes (Wednesdays)  which may take
until late, 5 min of fame late night cleaning and Thanksgiving  party. For these
days I would really like to find some solution because I'll have  to stay late
and to leave for outside late at night is not something very safe to  do - if
you stay outside you should get to your spot before 10 pm or so, that is  just
safety tip.   One thing which I feel Al is wrong or I did not understood is that
my stay in  particular is a problem from the financial point of view, probably
meaning that  people are keeping out of Noisebridge. I'd like to have a serious
discussion about  that for todays meeting because I do believe that it's the
other way around - me  staying around and keeping Noisebridge at some certain
level of cleanliness (with  other people like Al, Miloh, Mike etc) keeps some
other people out because they  see from the first minute that there is actually
“order” in the place. However  it's not any excuse for sleeping at the place and
it was never intended to be.   Well I'll be looking forward for the meeting,
Isky is my host for tonight.   By the way I've got until 9th of December to stay
in USA, I'll be leaving a bit  before this date so I'll be calling for help on
my projects soon and keeping  myself really busy.  Sincerely,  Frantisek
PS Concerning the help options towards me there are several.  1) support my
activities/projects at Noisebridge if you think they should happen  in a way
which suites you, cash for the projects is always handy   2) if you have a couch
available once per two weeks or so I would be happy to pop  in sometimes, cook a
meal, etc.  3) if you have a trouble with your back or other parts of body, I
can give you a  decent massage and contribution towards my projects are welcomed
:-)) (or you can  even stick it in to my pocket in case I've some of course).
4) come up with some magical solution how to get Noisebridge above $15 000
because  that is what I was working on for last many months and I'm not
succeeding as I'd  like to and I'm really sorry for that. The Thanksgiving party
is a good oportunity  to go wild!