[Noisebridge-discuss] brain-controlled robotics project

Steve Castellotti sc at puzzlebox.info
Wed Nov 17 02:29:51 UTC 2010

    Had a good time last night playing around with the Emotiv and
Neurosky headsets.

    With Rachel and Jake's help we tapped detections from the Emotiv
headset into control commands for the MC Hawking electric wheelchair
robot. I was kind of running back and forth between that and working on
the RC Helicopters with Miloh but managed to get a couple second of
video footage of the whole thing looking appropriately dangerous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPtuunvq8r8

    Would love to get a more formal demo video shot, especially as we
were just doing EMG detections (facial muscles) as opposed to
"legitimate" thought control - although that's easy enough to do with
the Emotiv. I just put that quick video together to send to NeuroSky to
prompt them about the status of a pending SSVEP library. With SSVEP it
should be possible to do precise 4-direction movements.

    SSVEP (Steady-State Visually-Evoked Potential) is very simple and
requires no training. You basically tap into signals emitted by the the
visual cortex at the back of the brain. You present a set of visual
stimulus (such as checkerboard patters on a screen or even just a bank
of LEDs) which blink a different - say 15 Hz for one, 18 Hz for another,
and so on. The brain's visual cortex will harmonize with the blink rate
in a detectable way, so you can tell which of a set of such stimuli the
user is looking at. You then assign a direction control to each stimuli
and you're all set - look at one pattern and you move forward, look at
another and you turn right, and so on.

    If there's anyone here who's a strong coder with a solid mathematics
background I would love to collaborate and could probably walk them
through creating an Open Source implementation, provide the necessary
papers, and put them in touch with the right researchers to support the
effort. I think I can even dig up some code for MATLAB, though ideally
the final version wouldn't have any proprietary dependencies. Please let
me know if anyone knows anybody who might be interested!

    Here's a great video of SSVEP in action from some guys I know at
Northeastern University:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuC0RTf1taw

    I may swing by again this evening for a bit after the video game
developer's meetup at Jillian's. Have run into a bit of a wall regards
the RC Helicopters, about which I'll post a separate message to the list
shortly - could certainly use some thoughts there.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Castellotti
Puzzlebox Limited