[Noisebridge-discuss] Kinect hacking

Anselm Hook anselm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 21:18:29 UTC 2010

I'd be happy to help. I am free on these dates: http://hook.org/calendar .
This could easily be a 2 hour walk through tops - there is not much there.
The main thing is actually the family of digital media art technologies that
folks have put together - notably openframeworks and processing (as you
mentioned) - which turn openkinect into just one more tool in the artist
palette ( a rather amazing tool ).

For others reading this - in general the broader space of new digital media
critical art theory stuff is important too - maybe under appreciated...
participatory art and creative experiences let participants experience the
artist thesis more directly - it's an important emerging medium for personal
expression. If you look at the stuff on creativeapplications.net you can
really see how interactive art like this is being used to frame thoughts
that are sometimes hard to express as an essay - tangible interaction seems
to be helpful.

Oh btw you don't even have to hack it - the reason I think M$ accidentally
kickstarted a UI revolution - maybe even kickstarted the AR UI revolution -
is that you can buy a kinect for $150, separately, plug it in, read the data
off of it (no crypto) and use it as is... it's amazingly open...  3 weeks
ago this kind of tech would have cost 10+k.